If you have a sweet tooth, chances are you’ve indulged in Starburst candy at least once in your life. But if you follow a halal diet, you may be wondering whether this fruity treat is permissible or forbidden. With its bright colors and juicy flavors, Starburst is undoubtedly a popular choice among candy enthusiasts, but when it comes to its halal status, there is some debate.
Some say it’s perfectly fine to consume, while others claim it’s haram. In this article, we’ll delve into the details of Starburst’s ingredients and manufacturing process to help you determine whether it’s halal or not. So, buckle up and get ready to satisfy your curiosity and your cravings at the same time!
What is Starburst?
Starburst candy is not just any ordinary candy, but it has become a cultural icon in the candy world. The candy was originally created in the United Kingdom in 1960 and was made up of just two flavors, strawberry, and lemon. The original colors of the Starburst wrappers were yellow and pink, to represent the two flavors.
Over the years, more flavors and colors were added, including orange, cherry, and lime, each with its own color wrapper. Today, Starburst candy is enjoyed by people of all ages worldwide and is available in a vast array of flavors, each with its own unique color and taste profile.
The candy is soft, chewy, and bursting with fruity flavors that are sure to tantalize your taste buds. Starburst candy is a popular snack for both children and adults alike, due to its delicious flavor and bright colors. With its chewy texture and taste, it’s easy to see why it’s a fan favorite. It’s a perfect treat for satisfying your sweet cravings, and it’s also great for sharing with friends and family.
Starburst candy has a vibrant and attractive packaging that makes it instantly recognizable on store shelves. The candy is wrapped in colorful, box-shaped packaging, which is easy to carry and store. Starburst candy comes in many different varieties, such as Tropical, Sour, FaveREDs, Watermelon, Very Berry, Superfruit, Summer Blast, and Original. Each variety has its own unique flavor profile, making it easy for candy lovers to find their favorite flavor.
Different Types of Starburst Candies
- Starburst chews: Starburst chews are a box-shaped, fruit-flavoured soft taffy candy with a chewy texture. They are available in various flavors, such as Original, Fave Reds, and other fruity flavors. Original Starburst Fruit Chews are the most popular flavor. They come in strawberry, cherry, orange, and lemon flavors.
- Starburst Gummies: Starburst Gummies are a chewy and fruity twist on the classic candy. The gummies come in two formats: Original and Sours. The Original Starburst Gummies are available in a 5.8-ounce bag and feature the classic Starburst fruit flavors of strawberry, cherry, orange, and lemon. The Sours version is available in a 2-pack bundle of 4.3-ounce peg bags and features sour tropical flavors.
- Starburst Airs: Starburst Airs is a new type of candy from Starburst that delivers a unique, soft, squishy, and airy texture with the same juicy flavors as the classic Starburst candy. The candy was launched by Mars Wrigley in August 2021 and has quickly become a popular choice for candy lovers. Starburst Airs comes in two varieties: Original and Sour Tropical. It has been described as a fun, new texture that still packs in all the great taste, and won’t stick to your teeth.
- Starburst Minis: Starburst Minis are bite-sized, individually wrapped pieces of chewy and fruity candy that come in a variety of flavors. They were first introduced in 1999 and have been a fan favorite ever since. The flavors available in Starburst Minis include original, sours, and FaveReds, which bring together your favorite juicy red flavors like strawberry, fruit punch, watermelon, and cherry in one pack. They are designed for the on-the-go lifestyle, making them a great option for packing in lunch boxes or taking them as a quick snack anytime, anywhere. Starburst Minis are also available in unwrapped versions.
- Starburst Swirlers: Starburst Swirlers are a new twist on the classic Starburst candy, combining two flavors swirled into one chewy stick. The available flavor combinations are cherry-lemon, strawberry-orange, and cherry-strawberry. The candy sticks are slightly smaller than a dollar bill and are individually wrapped. Starburst Swirlers are available in a share size bag, and contain ten packs. The candy is also vegan-friendly and contains no gelatin or other animal products.
- Starburst All Pink: Starburst All Pink refers to a specific variation of the Starburst candy that includes only the pink strawberry flavor. It has become an iconic candy flavor and has been ranked as one of the best Starburst flavors. Starburst has also released an All Pink Un-Share Pack that requires a biometric fingerprint scan to open, emphasizing the idea of putting oneself first.
Related Read: Tootsie Rolls are a popular confectionery that have been around since the late 1800s. They are known for their chewy texture and chocolate flavor, and are a favorite of many candy lovers. But for those who follow halal dietary restrictions, it’s important to know if these candies are permissible to consume. In our are Tootsie Rolls halal article, we’ll explore whether Tootsie Rolls are halal, and provide you with all the information you need to make an informed decision. So if you’re curious about the halal status of Tootsie Rolls, read on!
Ingredients in Starburst Candies
Starburst candies in USA contain the following ingredients (Source)
- Corn Syrup
- Hydrogenated Palm Kernel Oil
- Fruit Juice from Concentrate (Cherry, Orange, Strawberry, Lemon, Mango, Banana, Kiwi, Watermelon, Pineapple)
- Citric Acid
- Food Starch-Modified
- Artificial and Natural Flavors
- Ascorbic Acid (Vitamin C)
- Coloring (Red 40, Yellow 5, Blue 1, Yellow 6)
- Sodium Citrate
- Mono- and Diglycerides
- Confectioner’s Glaze
- Carnauba Wax
Starburst candies in UK contain the following ingredients
- Glucose Syrup
- Palm Fat
- Concentrated Fruit Juices (Apple, Orange, Blackcurrant, Strawberry, Lime, Lemon, Blueberry, Cranberry, Raspberry)
- Acid Citric Acid
- Acid Malic Acid
- Modified Starch
- Antioxidant Ascorbic Acid
- Emulsifier Lecithin
- Colours Anthocyanins, Beta-Carotene, Spirulina Extract, Beetroot Red
Is Starburst Halal in USA
There seems to be some conflicting information about whether or not Starburst candy is considered Halal in the USA. According to some sources, most Starburst products available in the US contain beef or pork gelatin, which makes them non-Halal. Other sources state that the ingredients used in Starburst candy are considered Halal and there are no animal products used in the production process.
It is important to note that while some flavors of Starburst candy do not contain any haram ingredients and are considered Halal, the majority of Starburst products sold in the United States are not Halal-certified. Therefore, it is recommended that individuals who follow a Halal diet should check the label of each product to ensure that it meets their dietary restrictions.
At the same time, many experts say that determining whether a product is Halal or not is not always black and white. There are certain requirements that must be met, such as the source of the ingredients, how the food is prepared, and more. Therefore, it is essential to consult with a religious authority or certification organization to get a more precise answer regarding the Halal status of a product.
According to Halalsign.com, Starburst Original Candies, Starburst Unwrapped New Original Candies and Starburst Five Red Candies have been certified as haram by MCG (Muslim Consumer Group) USA.
On the other hand, Halalharam.org certifies Starburst Tropical as haram. Starburst Strawberry, Starburst California Fruit Flavor and Starburst Fruit Chew have all been certified halal i.e. permissible for those following a halal diet.
Is Starburst Halal in UK
Most of the Starburst products sold in the UK are generally considered halal. This is because they do not contain any non-halal ingredients such as gelatin made from beef or pork, which is commonly used as a gelling agent in sweets. However, it is important to note that not all Starburst variants are halal.
According to The Halal Life UK, Starburst Original, Fave Reds, All Pink, Duos, Tropical and Chews are confirmed to be halal. These products are safe to consume for Muslims who follow a halal diet.
Halal Sign also certifies Starburst as halal in UK. But, it doesn’t specify whether all different variants of the candy are halal or only some of them.
However, it is important to note that while Starburst products sold in the UK are generally considered halal, they are not halal certified. This means that some individuals may have different opinions regarding the halal status of Starburst products. As with any food product, it is always recommended to read the ingredients list and consult with a trusted religious authority if you are unsure about the halal status of a particular product.
It is also important to be aware of cross-contamination when purchasing halal products. Even if the ingredients list of a particular product does not contain any non-halal ingredients, there is still a risk of cross-contamination if the product is produced on the same equipment as non-halal products. To avoid this, look for products that are manufactured in a dedicated halal facility or have a dedicated halal production line.
Is Starburst Gelatin Halal
The halal status of Starburst Gelatin varies depending on the country in which it is produced and sold. In the United States, most Starburst products contain gelatin derived from beef or pork, making them not halal.
However, there are some variants of Starburst, such as the Fruity Burst and Original flavors, that do not contain any haram ingredients and are all halal. These flavors do not contain gelatin and instead use thickeners such as modified corn starch and pectin. So, if you’re in the US and craving some Starburst, choose the Fruity Burst or Original flavors to ensure they are halal.
On the other hand, if you’re in the United Kingdom, you’re in luck. Starburst products sold in the UK do not contain gelatin and are therefore halal-friendly. Instead of using gelatin, Starburst UK uses modified starch, sugar, and other plant-based ingredients to achieve the same texture and taste.
It is important to note that the source of gelatin used in Starburst products can be both animal-based and plant-based. While some sources claim that Starburst Gelatin is derived from animal products, others state that the main source of gelatin used in Starburst is actually a plant-based gelatin derived from modified vegetable starch.
However, it is hard to determine which source is being used for a specific Starburst flavor, hence the confusion surrounding the halal status of this snack. To be safe, always check the ingredients list and look out for any haram ingredients like gelatin.
Related Read: Mamba is a popular fruit-flavored chewy candy that has been enjoyed by people all over the world for many years. However, as a Muslim, you may have concerns about whether it is permissible to consume this candy. In our is Mamba candy haram article, we will explore the ingredients in Mamba candy and determine whether it is haram or not.
Is Starburst Vanilla Extract Halal
Vanilla extract is a commonly used ingredient in baked goods, desserts, and candies. It is derived from the vanilla plant, which is a climbing orchid that is native to Mexico. The extract contains several compounds that give it its flavor and aroma, including vanillin, the main compound responsible for the characteristic vanilla flavor.
The use of vanilla extract in food production is widespread, and it is often used as a substitute for natural vanilla. However, the use of alcohol in the extraction process is common, and this raises concerns for Muslims as alcohol is haram.
Some Muslim scholars hold that vanilla extract containing 35% or more of ethyl alcohol is haram because it is considered intoxicating. However, other scholars argue that the alcohol content in vanilla extract is minuscule and is not considered haram as long as it does not intoxicate.
When it comes to Starburst vanilla extract, the halal status is unclear. Although some Starburst candies do include vanilla extract as an ingredient, Mars, the company that owns Starburst, has confirmed that their vanilla extract does not contain alcohol. The source and production process of the vanilla extract used in Starburst are unknown, which makes it difficult to determine its halal status definitively.
There are several factors that will affect the halal status of vanilla extract, including the source of the vanilla beans and the extraction process. If the vanilla beans are cultivated and processed in compliance with halal guidelines, and the extraction method does not involve alcohol, then the vanilla extract will be considered halal.
Frequently Asked Questions
1. Does starburst have gelatin?
The answer to whether Starburst candies contain gelatin depends on where they are manufactured. Starburst candies made for the US market do contain gelatin, which is derived from animal collagen, and are not suitable for vegetarians or vegans. However, Starburst candies made in the UK do not contain gelatin, and may be suitable for vegetarians and vegans.
2. Are starbursts kosher?
The kosher status of Starburst candies is a topic of discussion among those who follow the Jewish dietary laws. According to the official response from Wrigley, the manufacturer of Starburst candies, all varieties of Starburst Fruit Chews, including Original, Tropical, Sweets & Sours, FaveReds, Summer Splash, and Sweet Heat, contain gelatin sourced from beef. Therefore, they do not receive the kosher certification.
There are varying opinions on whether or not Starburst is halal. Some sources state that Starburst is not halal-certified and may contain gelatin derived from animal products, while others state that Starburst products are halal and contain permissible ingredients.
Ultimately, it is up to the individual to determine if they consider Starburst to be halal or not. It is important to check the ingredients list carefully to ensure that the product is suitable for consumption.
Some variants of Starburst, such as the Fruity Burst and Original flavors, do not contain haram ingredients and may be considered halal. However, it should be noted that some Starburst products may contain gelatin derived from non-halal animals, and therefore may not be considered halal.